SERVICES

Family Service – Sundays 10.45am

Our weekly family service is held on Sundays at 10.45am. A time of fellowship over a cuppa is held before the service from 10.15am and after the service. Holy Communion is shared subject to an available leader and a pooled lunch is held after the service on the second Sunday of each month

WE ARE THE UNITING CHURCH

The Uniting Church SA seeks to be an innovative, growing church proclaiming Jesus Christ, empowered by the Spirit to transform God’s world. Read More.

The Uniting Church is a young church – formed on 22 June 1977, when the Congregational, Methodist, and Presbyterian Churches united to become one. The Basis of Union is the document which affirms our Christian faith and is the guide to what is central to the life of the Uniting Church in Australia. Read the Basis of Union here.

HISTORY

The Church

The Wesleyan Methodist Church commenced worshipping in the Aldinga area in 1854 at a site about one kilometre from the current church. The existing Aldinga church building was opened in 1863.

Sellicks Hill church opened on 9 February 1862 and finally closed in December 1992. The congregation merged with the Aldinga and Willunga Uniting Churches.

A book on the history of the Aldinga Church, “If Walls Could Talk”, was written by Dorothy Entwistle for the opening of renovations in 2007. It is now out of print.

The Cemetery

The Aldinga cemetery has a long history in the local area, but has been upgraded in recent years to provide shade and screening with plants, and to establish a rose garden.

The oldest recorded burial in the cemetery is George Lovelock, who was buried on 4 December 1853 – 10 years before the current church building was established, and one year before the Aldinga Plains Church was erected.

The cemetery contains examples of skilled stone masons, particularly the slate headstones manufactured by Willunga resident George Sara. The cemetery also contains a memorial to the 11 sailors who lost their lives when the Star of Greece sank during a violent storm off Port Willunga on the 13 July 1888.

Photos and details of our historic cemetery can be accessed by clicking here.

MEET THE TEAM

Church Council Chairperson: Tina Lee
Congregation Chairperson: Cherylie Lloyd
Cemetery Curator: Judy Visser